We all know that a slip and fall is a premises liability but did you know that all property owners have a simple responsibility to maintain their properties and the area around their properties?
That means, if tree roots are uplifting the pavement, that has to be repaired by the property owner, it’s their responsibility to keep all property maintained and hazard free. If there is snow or ice on the ground, that needs to be cleared so you do not slip and fall. If you are injured at work, it could be both a worker’s compensation claim and a premise liability claim. Make sure you know everything you are entitled to if you are injured on public property.
- Over one million people in the United States experience a significant slip, trip, or fall each year.
- An average of 17,000 Americans die from their slip and fall accidents.
- The average cost of a slip and fall injury is $28,000, including medical bills, physical therapy, and missed wages.
- Slips and falls are the number two cause of accident death and disability, following behind automobile accidents.
- 55 percent of those over 40 have suffered a debilitating slip and fall accident during their lifetimes.